Thursday, February 28, 2008

The List

This is a list of the things in the country that I'm not happy with.
  1. the belief that a particular race is more superior than others and thus entitling them to privileges not granted to those of different "genetic pools' (in fact, there's a word for this: apartheid)
  2. ministers who talk without using their brains and make a fool of themselves without realising it
  3. corruption
  4. big shots that are immune to the judicial system just because they have a Tan Sri, Dato, Datuk or what not attached before their names
  5. government that protects those big shots for its own interest
  6. bigots
  7. control of media by the government
  8. ISA
  9. the twisted version of NEP
  10. government's denial of our freedom of speech (that includes the right to demonstrate peacefully)
  11. the education system that aims at producing drones who think alike
  12. racism
  13. raced-based politics
  14. election system
  15. half-ass democracy
  16. hypocrisy (our tendencies to portray ourselves as a friendly lot, when the fact is that we are only friendly towards ang moh)
  17. self righteousness
  18. the tidak-apa attitude
  19. ruling party's arrogance
  20. 2/3 Parliamentary seats dominance by the ruling party
  21. 2nd class citizen treatment
  22. intrusion of privacy
  23. those who dictate how we should lead our lives
However, I believe that these are not permanent fixtures of the country; like a bad flu, it will pass in the end. To to end it, we need an antidote, an antibiotic if you may. And that antibiotic is reformation of governance.

Now it must be made clear that I love my country very, very much and that I am proud to be a Malaysian. In fact, I could come up another list that contains the things that I love about the country, and it will be 5 times as long. I also refuse to be labeled as unpatriotic because admitting the problems facing the country and disagreeing with some of the government's policies do not make me an ungrateful bastard. In fact, I think it makes me the opposite of that.

Let it also be made clear that I am NOT anti-Malay at all. I'm only against advocates of no.1

No comments: